Monday, June 15, 2009

Hoping that my mind don't slip, sailing on a sinking ship.



I've been battling a passionate love affair with the above tune lately. It seems that whenever I try to separate from it, which is often, considering how I'm literally stabbing the repeat button my stereo, it seems to find me and we have passionate makeup sex. Am I cursed with the monogamous life?

Listomania - Phoenix (Live on KEXP)

Bonjour unionists, humanitarians, jugglers, circus folk, ice gypsies, rhinos, fascists, ect. ect., my name is Norman Nehmetallah, and I'm just realizing how pretentious one sounds when greeting others in a language that they themselves do not speak. This is Looks Like Coffee, Tastes Like Juice, as a quick glance to your address bar would've confirmed, and I haven't post in what seems like a millennium. Thankfully, it has not been a millennium though, and not much has passed us by in the music world which won't be covered in this very post. So, put a seat belt on, spank your child(ren) for good measure, and prepare yourself for the capitalist adventures which are(n't) about to unfold.

At the very top of this post is a band called Phoenix, who've not only been on a constant (this is not to be taken lightly) repeat on my stereo, but also on my iPod, computer, and headcomputer (known as a brain to the locals). Their new album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, is not only a piece of pure pop brilliance, but an infectiously simple record that I've yet to tire of. Being the restless soul I am, this is quite an accomplishment for the band.

Living With The Living, Underneath The Tyranny of Oak

In the very distant past, formerly known as a week ago, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists released a brand new demo which has proved to be quite promising material. Ted Leo & The Crew have always been favourite musical act of mine, but with the election of President Barack Obama, I've found myself pondering what Mr. Leo might be doing with his superb songwriting talents these days, since the "evil" Republicans and "nasty" bureaucrats, who have been the subject of many a Ted Leo record, have been overthrown. It seems that Mr. Leo has begun internalize his songwriting, and quite literally, as this new demo has The Pharmacists singing about Ted Leo's... brain?

This scathing 2 minute and 18 second blizzard of power chords and garbled talk is a very welcome change in today's intricate, although sometimes boring, mess of exaggeration that is not uncommonly found in music. Don't trust my opinion though, take a listen for yourself?

Where Was My Brain? - Ted Leo & The Pharmacists


And a peak at the archives...

Where Have All The Rude Boys Gone? - Ted Leo & The Pharmacists

I hope everyone reading this has their orgasm pants on, because this news is a fucking tsunami...

Monsters of Folk

According to the fine young gentle(wo)men at Pitchfork Media,

"The Monsters of Folk supergroup-- which also features producer/Bright Eyes member Mike Mogis-- release their self-titled debut on September 22 via Shangri-La in North America, Rough Trade in Europe, Spunk in Australia, and P-Vine in Japan. A press release says so and everything.

According to the release, "all four members play every instrument on the album" and the music ranges from "road-worn" to "intimate" to "sun-soaked." The sometime tourmates recorded the LP in Malibu, California and Omaha, Nebraska over a two-year period between other projects. Track titles include "Whole Lotta Losin'" (Zeppelin tribute?), "Temazcal" (named after an ancient sauna), and "Losin Yo Head" ("Yo"!). The rest of the song names are below:

Monsters of Folk:

01 Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)
02 Say Please
03 Whole Lotta Losin'
04 Temazcal
05 The Right Place
06 Baby Boomer
07 Man Named Truth
08 Goodway
09 Ahead of the Curve
10 Slow Down Jo
11 Losin Yo Head
12 Magic Marker
13 Map of the World
14 The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me
15 His Master’s Voice "

To clear up any falsities that may still reside in your mind, Conor Oberst, M.Ward and Jim James (of My Morning Jacket glory) have formed a supergroup and are now preparing to unload their collective awesome onto an unsuspecting world.

Best of!

My Morning Jacket - Gideon (Live)

Bright Eyes - Lua

M. Ward - To Go Home

Tomorrow, I will be supplying you, the marvelous reader, with a full blown review of Dirty Projectors new ditty, entitled Bitte Orca, which has snuck it's way, along with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, Veckitamest and Merriweather Post Pavillion, unto my Best of 2009 list. Tune in? Log in? I don't give a fuck, just read it.

That's tomorrow, but today I leave you with a couple older tracks to help you prepare your awesome self for exams...

A Looks Like Coffee, Tastes Like Juice Micromix
Holly Was A Hoodrat!

Micromix - 4 songs!

01 Up On A Mountain - The Welcome Wagon!

02 Debaser - The Pixies!

03 How A Ressurection Really Feels - The Hold Steady!

04 Alkali - Field Assembly
(The best band out of Windsor, my opinion, who Kaitlyn Meloche unfortunately missed live.)